The Appliance Standards Awareness Project, part of the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), seeks a qualified state policy associate. ACEEE, a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with an emphasis on professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
The Appliance Standards Awareness Project (ASAP) organizes and leads a broad-based coalition effort that works to advance, win, and defend new appliance, equipment, and lighting standards which deliver large energy and water savings, monetary savings, and environmental benefits. ASAP works at the state and national levels.
The state policy associate works as part of a small team working to cut energy and water waste and help limit the impacts of climate change by advocating for improved state level efficiency standards. They build support and provide technical assistance for state standards, working with environmental and efficiency advocates, utilities, state legislators, and state energy officials. The associate reports to the ASAP state policy manager and regularly uses sound judgment to make decisions independently. This job provides an opportunity to create real change by shaping and advancing a proven policy approach for saving energy and water.
Major responsibilities include:
• Develop and implement advocacy campaigns to win new state standards
• Research and acquire in-depth knowledge of select energy- and water-using appliances and equipment
• Lead ASAP’s efforts to enhance and expand water efficiency standards work
• Assist with communications and outreach for both federal and state standards
Specific responsibilities include:
• Build and mobilize coalitions of allies in targeted states
• Provide technical assistance to policymakers and other stakeholders
• Write fact sheets, blog posts, and social media content to educate and build support for strengthened state and federal appliance standards
• Contribute to the development of ASAP’s model legislation
• Research, review, and comment on state standards rulemakings. Convene stakeholders as needed.
• Lead development and publication of ASAP’s newsletter
• Represent ASAP at conferences and policy meetings
The position requires strong interpersonal skills and the abilities to understand and convey technical material to non-technical audiences, listen carefully to others to gain a full understanding of issues, and perform multiple tasks independently. Strong candidates will have an awareness and respect of cultural and individual values, the ability to recognize and respond to opportunities in order to reach a goal, and the willingness to work as part of a team to achieve objectives.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of relevant work experience
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and complete tasks independently
• Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office
• Experience working on state and federal policy
• Familiarity with energy and water efficiency, legislative, and/or regulatory processes
Preferred start date: On or about mid-October or until a suitable candidate is found
Location: Geographically flexible; Washington, DC preferred
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $57,128 - $85,692. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “ASAP” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls. Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.