The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a dynamic individual to develop and deploy local, state, and national level strategies to achieve broad-scale transformation through codes and building technology. The successful candidate is passionate about clean energy and has an entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit with the confidence to explore, create, and lead. The Senior Manager of Codes and Technical Strategy will help establish a technical basis for IMT’s cutting-edge work on city and state policies mandating high-performance buildings. He or she will also help decide where IMT can be most impactful in improving and expanding energy codes and lead the implementation of these efforts. More broadly, the successful candidate will provide thought leadership and develop strategies on the evolving intersection of energy efficiency, renewable energy, storage and grid interaction. This position reports to the Director of Policy and Technical Analysis.
- Manage multiple projects in a program area, including planning, reporting, and ensuring deadlines and deliverables are met.
- Identify, establish relationships with, and implement productive, high-impact partnerships with other organizations working to effectively advance codes and building technology.
- Identify the most pressing technical challenges (e.g., decarbonization) and initiate solutions, through internal capacity-building or with other partners.
- Represent IMT externally as a thought-leading subject matter expert on codes and technical matters.
- Exercise creativity and vision in scoping and overseeing projects that consider the intersections of resilience, equity, and energy efficiency in the built environment.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive codes and technical strategy that aligns with IMT’s framework.
- Drive local, state and national collaboration in key impact areas identified in the strategy.
- Provide direct consulting to local governments and private sector clients to glean maximum energy and carbon savings through energy codes and technological advancements.
- Understand and collaborate with all IMT practice areas to ensure the strategy supports and is consistent with IMT’s other work. Make recommendations based on synthesis of best practices and lessons learned.
- Work with IMT’s development team to successfully fundraise for deployment of IMT’s codes and technical strategy.
- Assess staff capacity and needs, focusing on building science and technical expertise.
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in building science, engineering, architecture, or fields relevant to energy efficiency, construction, buildings or real estate
- Experience with public policy analysis and research
- Experience in energy efficiency, construction, buildings operation, or real estate
- Proven record of successful engagement in arenas with competing and conflicting stakeholder priorities.
- Proven record of accomplishment in establishing and maintaining partnerships and collaborative relationships and forums.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to synthesize and clearly articulate complex issues.
- Ability to think flexibly and use interdisciplinary approaches to problem solving.
- Strong existing network of codes and building science experts.
- Experience with and understanding of local governments, including their goals, concerns, and limitations in addressing policy issues.
- Broad understanding of the commercial real estate market, including the stakeholders’ motivations and concerns regarding implementation of energy efficiency measures under either voluntarily or mandatory scenarios.
How to Apply
This is a full-time position with a strong preference for someone based in IMT’s Washington, DC office. The salary range for this position is $95,000 to $110,000, commensurate with experience. IMT offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Senior Program Manager – Codes and Technical Strategy” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze widespread and sustained demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity-including racial, ethnic, and gender–and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.