The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified senior analyst for its industrial program. ACEEE conducts independent analysis and develops transformative polices to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, protects the environment, and promotes the health, safety, and well-being of everyone.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results and impacts, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to fostering and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while weaving equity into our research and policy work.
Position Description: The senior analyst will support ACEEE’s industrial program by contributing to research, policy analysis, writing, presentations, and other activities that will advance the transformation of the industrial sector and broader economy to lower their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. This position will be exciting for someone looking to have real-world impact while working with industrial leaders nationwide to advance technologies, practices, programs, and investments that reduce the energy and GHG emission intensity of the industrial sector and the products it produces.
The senior analyst will have a variety of research leadership, publication, and presentation opportunities while working with a highly respected and recognized team of energy efficiency experts and collaborating with other programs across a dynamic organization.
The core responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Contributing to ACEEE’s research on low-carbon technologies, products, and approaches (such as advanced motor systems, electric technologies, products with low embodied carbon, and information and communications technologies) that can reduce energy use in manufacturing operations, supply chains, and the broader economy
- Conducting in-depth research on the ways energy efficiency can serve as an enabler for transformative technologies (such as hydrogen from low-carbon energy; electrification of key industrial processes; carbon capture, utilization, and storage; integration of these solutions into companies and supply chains; and the use of smart manufacturing to optimize processes and supply chains)
- Developing techno-economic analyses of low-carbon technology and policy options and studying ways to lower implementation hurdles
- Leading research on the impact of products in helping customers reduce their energy use and GHG emissions (e.g., handprint analysis), such as through the application of information and communications technologies and computer simulation and optimization
- Examining policy approaches to enable the transformation of industry toward net-zero GHG emissions via low-carbon technologies and low-capital approaches (such as energy efficiency and materials efficiency/waste elimination/recycling) at the federal and state levels. Using software analysis tools to gauge the impact of various policy approaches and packages of proposals.
- Collaborating with industrial firms, trade associations, policymakers, and NGO partners on policies and practices to reduce energy consumption and GHG emissions
- Participating in projects alongside researchers with expertise in other areas (such as buildings, transportation, and the power sector) to support economy-wide GHG reductions
- Developing and delivering presentations on research projects and their connection to policy priorities. Reporting on outcomes of research in a variety of publications, journal articles, social media, etc.
- Supporting the development of grant applications and related materials
- The senior analyst will steer research with high visibility and credibility in the energy efficiency, technology, and policy communities. The position offers unmatched access to national experts in energy efficiency and decarbonization as well as opportunities to develop expertise and management experience on a variety of emerging topics.
- Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Highly analytical and detail oriented. The senior analyst will conduct rigorous and externally reviewed primary and secondary research dealing with complex quantitative and qualitative data.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. The senior analyst is expected to produce detailed research reports, white papers, fact sheets, briefing memos, and regulatory comments, and to present research results through formal presentations, webinars, journal articles, and blog posts.
- Superb organizational and project coordination skills. The position requires experience coordinating complex, long-term projects independently as well as on a team. The senior analyst must balance multiple projects and deadlines. This includes providing research leadership in the research areas noted above.
- Strong interpersonal skills. The senior analyst will collaborate with numerous ACEEE staff members on research projects. The senior analyst must also maintain relationships with external stakeholders to inform research and broaden the reach of ACEEE’s research and technical assistance.
- Highly motivated self-starter. The senior analyst must be able to work independently, keeping colleagues and partners informed.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The position requires a strong commitment to furthering policies and programs that are equitable and inclusive.
- Tech-savvy and quick learner. The senior analyst will need to consult with other ACEEE staff to stay apprised of energy efficiency policies and programs.
- Advanced degree (master’s or Ph.D.) in engineering, chemical, or related sciences, with demonstrated project coordination experience and significant experience with quantitative or qualitative analysis; two or more years of relevant work experience (industry experience preferred).
- Rigorous coursework or work experience in energy, GHGs reduction options, process technology associated with low-carbon technologies and approaches.
- Experience with techno-economic evaluations.
- Experience with, or sound knowledge of, clean energy technologies, policies, and programs
- Experience evaluating the role of information and communications technology on customers’ energy use and GHG emission reductions (e.g., handprint analysis)
- Experience evaluating the embodied carbon in products, metrics associated with embodied carbon, routes to follow the carbon through supply chains, and life-cycle analysis
- Experience facilitating networks and working groups of peer organizations and stakeholders from diverse organizations and communities
- Experience using software tools to evaluate the impact of policies on energy use and GHG emissions
- Demonstrated passion for clean energy, environmental issues, and social justice
Preferred start date: Review of applicants will begin on June 1, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. The position is based in Washington, DC. with option to work from home due to COVID.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $58,271–$73,051. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “Senior Analyst, Industrial Program” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.