ARPA-E is seeking highly motivated technology commercialization experts with a unique mix of technical, business and entrepreneurial experience to help create high-impact energy technology development programs and prepare teams and technologies for commercial markets in the building technology space, with a focus on the deployment of energy efficiency and demand response technologies. Technology-to-Market (T2M) Advisors are expected to have skills in business development/technical marketing, product development, supply chains, and/or financial analysis. T2M Advisors should also possess excellent coaching and team development skills to guide ARPA-E awardees in the development and execution of technology commercialization strategies.
The most competitive candidates will have strong energy industry experience and will have managed the commercialization of a technology. According to their mix of skills & experience, T2M Advisors will work on a combination of direct project management and broader market development activities including:
- Building on existing knowledge and network in building technology products and markets to develop deep understanding and perspective for innovation opportunities and commercialization pathways for energy technologies
- Advising project teams on strategies for market assessment, business planning, intellectual property, product development, and supply chain considerations
- Assessing customer discovery to assess market requirements and determine product-market fit; developing market studies
- Performing techno-economic analyses to support new program development and determine cost-performance tradeoffs for funded projects
- Cultivating a network of government, industry and investor stakeholders to facilitate transition toward market, including targeting public and private follow-on funding sources
- Conducting site visits to meet project teams and evaluate commercialization activity in conjunction with ARPA-E’s technical Program Directors
- Facilitating and organizing commercialization workshops and mentorship programs
- Representing ARPA-E in front of a range of stakeholders (investors, corporations, government agency partners, etc.)
- Supporting ARPA-E leadership in the planning, preparation, and implementation of policies and strategies for technology commercialization
- Experience in business development in building materials, construction, building envelope/HVAC/lighting system development, or building operations/controls software and analytics
- Familiarity with relevant state of the art and technology trends, including use of advanced sensors and automation systems to improve building controls, next generation building materials, emerging lighting/HVAC/envelope technologies to improve building efficiency, or AI/ML tools to improve building analytics software approaches
- Understanding of the dynamics of building operations and management, new construction, and/or retrofit processes
- Established networks with market players across the technology deployment value chain, including industry associations, architects, project developers, investors, property managers, asset managers, tenants and owners
- Familiarity with building codes and standards development processes and their role in the advancement of new technology
- Familiarity with utility Demand Response and Energy Efficiency program offerings
- Experience with developing and validating value propositions and conducting market research and field trials
- Experience with technoeconomic analyses and formulation of business plans
- Strong technical backgrounds are preferred, including engineering, technology development or scientific research
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate technical and/or financial ideas and concepts to wide range of audiences
- Demonstrated interest/expertise in energy and energy technologies
- 5 to 30 years of work experience, including a combination of technology/research and business experience; startup/entrepreneurial experience is a plus
- PhD or MBA degree is desired, graduate degree is required
- US Citizenship is required
Technology-to-Market Advisors will report to the ARPA-E Deputy Director for Commercial Development, and will serve full time for a minimum of 3 years at ARPA-E's headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Questions can be directed via email to ARPA-Eemail@example.com with the words “Technology-to-Market Advisor” in the subject heading.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.