ABOUT THE EFFICIENCY MAINE TRUST
The Efficiency Maine Trust (the Trust) is the independent administrator for programs to improve the efficiency of energy use and reduce greenhouse gases in Maine. The Trust serves all sectors and all regions of the state. Its suite of programs provide education on and financial incentives for the purchase of high-efficiency products or changes to operations. The Trust is a quasi-state agency governed by a Board of Trustees with oversight from the Maine Public Utilities Commission. More information on Efficiency Maine can be found at efficiencymaine.com.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Program Manager position supports the Trust in managing one or more initiatives. Initially, this position will focus on improving energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gases from vehicles. It will manage programs supported by settlements of recent litigation against Volkswagen (VW), the aim of which is to promote the efficient use of electric vehicles (EV) and expansion of associated EV charging infrastructure. The position will include significant outreach and engagement activities with municipalities, community groups, nonprofit organizations, foundations, utilities, and state agencies. Good communication, organization, and computer skills are required. Candidates should have a strong interest in energy efficiency, conservation, clean energy and serving Maine’s energy customers. Candidates must be able to work as part of a team as well as independently. Levels of responsibility and autonomy given to the position will be commensurate with experience and performance. This position contributes to a mission-driven, dynamic, fast-paced work environment. This position is not part of the Maine State Civil Service System.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
• Outreach: Develop and coordinate outreach strategies for new and on-going initiatives including developing community partnerships, coordinating events, developing and implementing marketing campaigns, creating social media content, etc. Conduct outreach to potential program participants to achieve an understanding of potential energy efficiency opportunities.
• Project management: As assigned by the Program Director, manage discrete initiatives related to implementation of the Trust’s programs. For a given initiative, this may include developing a plan, proposing the plan for approval, organizing and implementing the plan, providing periodic status reports, analyzing and reporting on the results; also, developing requests for proposals, negotiating contracts with winning bidders, and managing contractors or grantees.
• Reports and Analysis: As assigned by the Program Director, assist in the tracking and analysis of budgets and results and preparing reports.
• Position currently has no supervisory responsibilities over other members of the Trust staff.
• Position may assist or manage the work of contractors or sub-contractors engaged to help implement programs.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERENCES:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
• Experience: Preference for candidates demonstrating experience: working on teams; handling tasks associated with project management; using project planning and management software; using databases; planning and running meetings; and making “cold calls” by email, phone, and in person.
• Knowledge: Preference for candidates demonstrating familiarity with transportation matters such as alternative fueled vehicles and associated infrastructure, Maine’s supply chain for vehicles and associated infrastructure, Maine communities and organizations that play a supporting role in helping consumers deal with energy issues; and programs promoting electric vehicles, demand side management, energy efficiency or demand response.
• Skills Required:
o Teamwork – Ability to foster teamwork, establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve goals of the organization and to build a culture of customer service.
o Critical thinking – Ability to assess program designs, project proposals, program performance, budget priorities, energy technologies, funding opportunities, and proposed innovations or reforms with objective analysis and a critical eye to maximize the effectiveness and integrity of the Trust’s programs.
o Communications – Ability to speak, write and present in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques; demonstrated success in developing a clear understanding of the intended meaning of others; ability to communicate across all levels of the organization; and ability to handle phone calls professionally;
o Problem solving – Ability to identify and assess problem situations, identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and resolve the problem; and
o General – Capacity to use computers effectively and efficiently; attention to detail; and flexibility in handling multiple assignments at the same time.
• Skills Preferred:
o Deep familiarity of MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint preferred;
o Ability to type rapidly; and
o Comfort with networking among customers, contractors, and stakeholders.
Usually works in an office environment. Frequent travel for outreach events and coordination required.
Most duties performed from seated position, with occasional standing and walking; frequent use of computer keyboard requiring finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Occasional driving required.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and consistent with applicable laws. A competitive benefits package is offered including employer subsidized health and dental plans, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and retirement plan with employer match. Efficiency Maine Trust is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a resume and cover letter indicating that you are applying for the position of Program Manager and describe your interest in Efficiency Maine and relevant qualifications. If you do not live in Maine, describe your interest in the state. Send all materials to tJoy Adamson, HR Manager, at email@example.com.
The above information is designed to outline the functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained. Other duties are as assigned or as priorities of the Trust dictate.