The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified Postdoctoral Fellow for its Industrial Program. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while weaving equity into our research and policy work.
ACEEE seeks a Postdoctoral Fellow to support ACEEE’s Industrial Program by piloting and contributing to research, policy analysis, and other activities that will advance the transformation of the industrial sector and broader economy to a lower GHG emissions footprint to minimize the impacts of climate change. This is an exciting position for someone looking to have real-world impact by advancing programs and policies that ensure energy efficiency and GHG reductions, and investments that accelerate this transformation.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will have a variety of research leadership and publication opportunities working with a highly respected and widely recognized team of energy efficiency experts and collaborating with other programs across a dynamic organization.
The core responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide significant and original contributions to ACEEE’s research on low-carbon technologies, products and approaches (including but not limited to energy and GHG reductions possible using advanced motor systems, electric technologies, low-embodied carbon products, and the role of the internet and information and communications technologies to reduce energy use in manufacturing, supply chains and the broader economy.)
- Conduct in-depth research on the ways that energy efficiency can serve as an enabler for transformative technologies (including but not limited to hydrogen from low-carbon energy, electrification of key industrial processes and process heat applications, carbon capture utilization and storage, and smart manufacturing)
- Develop techno-economic analyses of low-carbon options and study ways to lower implementation hurdles
- Lead research on the impact of products on helping customers reduce energy and GHGs (e.g. handprint analysis) through the application of information and communications technologies and computer simulation and optimization
- Examine policy approaches to enable the transformation of industry to net-zero GHGs via low-carbon technologies, low-capital approaches (energy efficiency, materials efficiency/waste elimination/recycling) at the federal and state levels. Use software analysis tools to gauge the impact of various policy approaches and packages of proposals
- Collaborate with industrial firms and NGO partners to pursue routes to reduce energy consumption and GHGs
- Participate in cross-cutting projects with researchers from other programs.
- Develop and deliver presentations on research projects and their connection to policy priorities. Report on outcomes of research in a variety of publications, journal articles, social media, etc.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will steer research with high visibility and credibility in the energy efficiency, technology, and policy communities. The position will include opportunities to participate in cross-cutting research with experts from other ACEEE programs. The position also offers unmatched visibility and access to national experts in energy efficiency, as well as an opportunity to develop expertise and management experience on one or more energy efficiency topics.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Highly analytical and detail-oriented. The Fellow will conduct rigorous and peer-reviewed primary research dealing with complex quantitative and qualitative data.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. The Fellow is expected to produce detailed research reports, white papers, fact sheets, and regulatory comments, and to present research results through formal presentations, webinars, journal articles, and blog posts.
- Superb organizational and project coordination skills. The position requires experience coordinating complex, long-term projects alone and as a member of teams. The Postdoctoral Fellow must also balance multiple projects and deadlines. This includes providing research leadership in the research areas noted above.
- Strong interpersonal skills. The Fellow will coordinate and collaborate with numerous ACEEE staff members on cross-cutting research projects. The Fellow must also maintain relationships with external stakeholders to inform research and broaden the reach of ACEEE research and technical assistance.
- Highly motivated, self-starter. The Fellow must be able to work independently.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion: The position requires a strong commitment to furthering policies and programs that are equitable and inclusive.
- Tech-savvy and quick learner. The Fellow will need to consult with other ACEEE staff to stay apprised of energy efficiency policies and programs.
- Doctoral degree in engineering, chemical, or related sciences with demonstrated project coordination experience and significant experience with quantitative or qualitative analysis; two or more years of relevant work experience preferred.
- Rigorous coursework or work experience in energy, GHGs reduction options, process technology associated with low-carbon technologies and approaches
- Experience with techno-economic evaluations.
- Experience with, or sound knowledge of clean energy technologies, policies and programs
- Experience evaluating the role of information and communications technology on customers’ energy use and GHGs reduction (e.g., handprint analysis)
- Experience facilitating networks and working groups of peer-organizations and stakeholders from diverse organizations/communities
- Experience using software tools to evaluate the impact of policies on energy and GHG reductions (including experience with Python).
- Demonstrated passion for clean energy, environmental issues, and social justice
- Experience preparing material for and submitting grant proposals.
Preferred start date: Review of applicants will begin on Feb. 18 and will continue until the position is filled. The position is based in Washington, DC. Currently remote (work from home) with the potential for remaining remote.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $49,002 - $73,051. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “Postdoctoral Fellow” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply