Who are we?
Michaels Energy is a team of energy efficiency professionals who are hard-wired to optimize and eliminate energy waste. We want everything to work correctly and efficiently. Since 1984, we’ve dedicated ourselves to making this happen – for buildings, systems, processes, you name it. Our passion is developing long-term client relationships with energy users, utilities, consultants, and partners. At Michaels Energy, we value:
- Responsive and Proactive Service
- Collaborative Partnerships
- Intuitive Analysis
- Fanatical Execution
What is the role?
Michaels Energy is seeking an energy efficiency professional to lead our work centered in the Richmond, Virginia area. This position will provide engineering and energy efficiency program support for new construction commercial facilities and assist with client management and business development.
The position will guide building design teams through an efficiency focused design assistance process. The candidate will be responsible for facilitating meetings with owners and design teams, presenting reports showing the energy and financial impacts of different design alternatives, and communicating proactively to ensure there are no delays the design process.
Technical responsibilities include energy modeling of commercial new construction buildings, understanding current local energy codes, evaluating efficient building systems options, and conducting post-construction site visits to verify the installation of efficient technologies.
In addition to the engineering work described above, this role will support client management and business development with prospective customers. This person will immerse themselves in the local market and attend local industry events to foster relationships with architecture and engineering firms. This position is an excellent growth opportunity to establish and develop a new market for Michaels Energy!
After 3 months, you have….
- Become familiar with the new construction efficiency program design and process
- Begun implementing an initial outreach plan to network and promote the program to target customers
- Started guiding at least one project through the new construction efficiency program process
After 6 months, you have….
- Assisted with outreach activities and developed relationships with engineering/architectural contacts
- Obtained in-depth knowledge of the program and the ability to deliver projects with minimal oversight
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field
- Five or more years’ experience combining any of the following:
- Building mechanical systems
- Energy efficient architectural design principles
- Energy modeling and simulation
- Local building and energy codes
- Project or client management
- Energy efficiency programs
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) preferred but not required
- Thrives on meeting people, building relationships, and customer satisfaction
- Self-motivated and able to manage multiple projects at once
- Interest in energy efficiency and building systems
- 30% regional travel
- Occasional travel to headquarters in La Crosse, Wisconsin, will be required.
- Richmond, Virginia
Michaels Energy Diversity Statement
- We strive to build and nurture a culture that is inclusive and welcoming for all employees. We know diversity and inclusion are essential to innovation, a strong work environment and exceptional results. This fits in well with our culture that celebrates the unique, the different, and the individual. For us, this is who are and what we do, not just words in a policy.