With industry accounting for more than one-fourth of US greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, its decarbonization is essential for combating climate change. Our key target at the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) is to halve domestic energy use and associated GHG emissions by 2050 through industry decarbonization and other energy efficiency solutions. We are looking for a persuasive industrial expert to translate our vision into policy action as our Industry Program Director.
Industrial decarbonization will also reduce costs, boost US competitiveness, and protect and grow the nation’s 20 million industry jobs. We can only achieve these aims by building on the decarbonization pillars of energy and resource efficiency, electrification, low-carbon fuels, and carbon capture. With unprecedented federal investment in energy and climate and growing interest from industrial companies, this position will enable you to make a significant impact.
The Work You’ll Do
- In this high-profile role, you will be well-supported to advance the goals identified in our 2022-2024 strategic plan. These goals include reducing industrial GHG emissions by a third by 2030 while ensuring half of US manufacturing facilities use strategic energy management, and decarbonizing industry while retaining its economic vitality and global competitiveness by 2050.
- You will engage with other organizations and lead the development of industry-focused conference programs and stakeholder convenings, which includes ACEEE’s Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Industry, the premier conference on industrial energy efficiency policy and programs.
- You will shape our research and policy agenda in the industrial sector, attracting and inspiring a team of researchers to deliver high-quality, credible, relevant research relied on by policymakers, business and industry decision-makers, consumers, media, and other energy professionals.
- You and your team will lead projects and advise international, federal, state, and local leaders in identifying the best areas of opportunity and steps to accelerate market transformation. With support from the Senior Director for Research, your team’s work will empower people, establish policy, enhance processes, and enable action toward a sustainable industrial future.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- We may consider full-time remote work for the right match of skills and experience, but candidates who live near DC may enjoy a hybrid work environment at our DC office. ACEEE will provide dedicated office space to employees who come in three or more days a week and offers hoteling options.
- The budgeted salary range for this role is $116K - $160K.
- ACEEE offers competitive compensation, based on qualifications and experience, with opportunities for career development. Benefits include ACEEE’s generous health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
A national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, DC, ACEEE conducts independent analysis and develops transformative policies to build a vibrant and equitable economy that uses energy more productively, protects the environment, and promotes health, safety, and well-being for all. ACEEE is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion while weaving equity into our research and policy work.
In the industrial sector, we are leaders in strategic energy management, smart manufacturing, utility efficiency program best practices, efficient motors, and motor-driven equipment, combined heat and power systems, and supporting research and development for emerging industrial processes. We recently played a leadership role in developing the newly published DOE Industrial Decarbonization Roadmap. And we refocused our efforts on the need to reduce planet-warming emissions five years ago, releasing an overview report and launching a Decarbonize Industry Initiative in 2020.
We will measure the success of our industry program over the next three years by tracking progress in the United States toward the numbers of pilots and demonstrations of low-carbon technology, regional clusters pursuing decarbonization projects, states and cities adopting procurement specifications favoring low-embodied-carbon products, large US companies using strategic energy management and setting science-based targets that use efficiency, engagements with minority-serving institutions, and the increase in the number of individuals trained to be energy managers (including underrepresented minorities).
- Develop, articulate, and implement a strategic vision and work plan for the ACEEE Industry Program.
- Lead and oversee research on industrial energy topics focusing on technologies, policies, and program opportunities to improve energy efficiency and productivity and reduce greenhouse gases, leading to equitable outcomes.
- Build and cultivate relationships with companies, trade associations, labor, policymakers, program implementers, community-based organizations, researchers, and other stakeholders on issues relating to industrial energy efficiency, productivity, and greenhouse gas reduction programs and policies; lead technical assistance for these groups.
- Represent ACEEE in external discussions on program and policy issues through speaking roles at conferences, roundtable discussions, and legislative and regulatory hearings.
- Further ACEEE’s reputation as a credible and authoritative voice on industrial technologies, markets, programs, and policies through outreach, presenting ACEEE research, writing memos, submitting formal comments, and engagement with media.
- Supervise Industry Program team members; mentor staff in their research and career development; coach them to achieve program goals in a timely way.
- Fundraise in support of the research agenda and work of the Industry Program in close coordination with the director of development and ACEEE executive team.
- Oversee large research and outreach projects ensuring project deliverables stay on schedule and within budget; administrate the industry program, including budget and schedule management.
- An advanced degree in a relevant field (Ph.D. a plus); a degree or relevant experience in engineering, sciences, or public policy is preferred.
- Ten years of experience working in or with industry in a technical and policymaking capacity preferred, with demonstrated ability to translate research findings into policy action. Experience with manufacturing technologies, energy management, and industrial analysis is strongly preferred. Experience in non-manufacturing industries is a plus.
- Superb organization and project management skills, with demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory, coaching, fundraising, and relationship management experience, including strong demonstrated success managing key external relationships.
- Strong convening and collaboration skills with proven meeting leadership and facilitation abilities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with extensive experience in public presentations, testimony, and interaction with the press strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of corporate management, finance, and/or industrial project financing is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial leader. You understand the big picture, our mission, and what is important to stakeholders. You are an energetic and ambitious advocate for ACEEE and work to increase visibility, amplify impact, and influence others.
- Effective communicator. You are a superb writer, thinker, and listener. You are able to organize and deliver complex information to a variety of audiences in a credible and accessible way.
- Organizationally agile. You effectively work across agencies and organizations to build long-standing relationships. You seek out and respect other viewpoints while sharing your insights.
- Supreme relationship builder. You have a proven track record of getting results by building strong relationships and partnerships. You are confident and assertive, approachable, and responsive. You listen to and respect the views of others.
- Skilled project manager. Whether it’s something that requires a quick turnaround or a long-term commitment, you organize the response efficiently and reliably from start to finish. You bring order to competing priorities and keep things running smoothly.
- Commitment to equity and justice. You understand the importance of advancing social and racial equity within teams, our organization, and the field.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- Your work will help shape policy in the energy and industrial sectors on a global scale, accelerating the development of low-carbon technologies, improving energy efficiency, and creating a just transition for employees as economies shift into more sustainable production methods and products. Your team’s research will form the policy foundation that leads to greater economic prosperity, energy equity, and environmental protection for all people.
- We are a mission-driven, collaborative, entrepreneurial organization that offers workplace flexibility and professional development. You will find your colleagues to be friendly and pleasant and the work intellectually stimulating.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “ACEEE – Industry Program Director #2022-2741 CW” as the subject of the email.
Please note: The budgeted salary range for this position is $116K - $160K
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended an evidence-based approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening, potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.