About DC Green Bank
DC Green Bank is a new independent agency, established by the Green Finance Authority Establishment Act of 2018 to leverage public capital to accelerate private sector investments that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and advance the District of Columbia’s ambitious sustainability and resiliency goals. Using limited public funding and bonding authority, DC Green Bank will attract private sector funding. Through its financing offerings, the organization will enable private capital to fill gaps by reducing real and perceived risk, absorbing transaction costs, and providing private investors the chance to learn about new market opportunities with the security of government partnership. An institutional goal is to accelerate the deployment of low-carbon technologies by mitigating upfront costs, leveraging private investment, and increasing the catalytic impact of public dollars.
DC Green Bank seeks a General Counsel (GC) to help launch this cutting-edge, mission-driven organization. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the GC is responsible for building and overseeing the legal function of the organization, as well as advising the leadership team on operations and financial products. The GC will provide day-to-day legal and compliance support to the organization and manage the work of outside counsel. As a key member of the initial management team, the GC will play an important role in determining the strategic direction of this growing, high-impact organization.
- Oversee all legal matters and advise the CEO and leadership team on organization strategy and development, financial products, and operations.
- Provide day-to-day legal support.
- Prepare and review contracts, MOUs, licenses, leases, and other agreements.
- Identify and mitigate legal risk impacting organization decisions.
- Maintain expertise in laws and regulations pertaining to the organization and anticipate impact on organization from legislative and regulatory changes.
- Protect the organization from undue exposure, liability, and significant financial loss, as well as the organization’s reputation, resources, programs and products.
- Develop and implement innovative methods for reducing legal spend in clean energy transactions.
- Advise DC Green Bank on litigation matters involving the organization, in coordination with outside counsel.
- Develop and manage the legal budget for the organization, in coordination with the leadership team.
- Assist on general compliance matters and other employment-related legal matters.
- Engage and oversee legal work provided by outside counsel.
- Report legal issues and activities to the CEO and Board of Directors.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has legal experience working at a clean energy, start-up, and/or government or quasi-government organization. You are an analytical and strategic thinker and business-minded attorney with an ability to evaluate information and determine an appropriate course of action. You have significant experience working in DC, and a strong understanding of its unique status under home rule. You have excellent judgment and are not afraid to make difficult decisions. You are excited by complex challenges and enjoy finding creative and effective ways to solve problems. You are a strong communicator, able to explain technical concepts clearly to other people. You work well independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of stakeholders. You are willing to take on additional responsibilities to fill in the needs of DC Green Bank. You are committed to tackling climate change issues at a local level for global impact and you will strive to bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit to DC Green Bank.
- 10 years or more of progressive legal experience; experience in clean energy law a plus
- Active member of the DC Bar in good standing or eligible to become an active member
- Demonstrated knowledge of general corporate matters
- Experience advising senior executives and working across departments
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Experience applying and interpreting local and federal statutes and legal opinions
- Experience budgeting and managing financial resources
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision
- Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Commitment to the mission of the DC Green Bank
- Status: Full-time
- Location: Remote during DC’s stay-at-home order; Washington, DC required when stay-at-home order is lifted
- Salary and Benefits commensurate with experience
Interested applicants should submit (1) a detailed cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position, and (2) a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization. Please list the position in the subject of the email.
Application materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.