TRC Energy Services (TRC) is a nationally known energy efficiency consultancy. TRC is seeking an Engineering Manager to support the delivery of a large commercial energy efficiency program (program) in Oregon and SW Washington. Through the program, we deliver technical assistance and cash incentives to customers in commercial facilities and buildings to help make electric and natural gas energy efficiency upgrades possible. The ideal candidate will display a passion for engineering project management, energy efficiency measure development management, client and customer service, establishing analysis tools and standards, and managing engineering teams to ensure that project and incentive application reviews, and other assignments are completed on-time, and with high technical quality.
The successful candidate will be presented with a diverse range of energy efficiency projects found in commercial and multifamily building systems. The position requires the ability to manage projects, and lead, direct, and coordinate the work of team members (internal and external) of varied backgrounds. This position requires flexibility; diversity of technical expertise; strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; and excellent customer care skills. The candidate will rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
The position involves significant interface with clients, partners, and client’s customers.
TRC seeks a confident leader with technical expertise in building science, energy simulation, building codes and emerging technologies; and proven success managing projects and budgets.
The job is located in Portland, Oregon.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) candidates are encouraged to apply. TRC is committed to promoting diversity and equity within the clean energy sector. Different backgrounds and perspectives are essential to the utility of the future, and we are committed to actively developing opportunities for candidates of color and from under-represented groups in the field of energy project management. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse and under-represented backgrounds to apply to this position.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee all engineering related client deliverables
- Manage and oversee the program engineering team this includes but not limited to:
- Staff conducting field inspections to verify installation of energy efficiency measures
- Custom projects reviews and customer incentives offers, which may include reviewing models that analyze energy use in buildings in compliance with program participation guidelines and energy code requirements
- Provide technical assistance and oversight for pilots and measure development
- Manage the program’s energy efficiency measure development process
- Manage a pool of Technical Contractors who perform energy studies at customer sites
- Manage an annual budget for technical contractor energy studies
- Develop and maintain technical tools and energy efficiency measure calculators
- Evaluate code and program participation requirements and propose interpretations, as applied to energy savings opportunities
- Maintain knowledge and applicability of energy codes in Oregon and Washington (including IECC and ASHRAE)
- Creatively solve complex problems through proactive collaboration within and across teams
- Provide thought leadership within interdepartmental working groups on complex and/or sensitive assignments
Desired Skills and Experience
Candidates must possess strong technical capabilities including knowledge of commercial building systems, energy use, and energy efficiency. Candidates must be familiar with energy saving strategies and have experience with calculating associated energy savings in electrical energy production, steam, refrigeration, HVAC, lighting and other commercial, institutional or industrial systems.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Engineering, Architecture, Planning or related field
- 5-10 years of experience within the green building, energy efficiency, building science, or related field
- Experience with managing staff resources
- Experience with the energy efficiency programs in the Pacific northwest
- Experience in commercial construction, retrofit, or related fields
- Established analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Experience using energy modeling software (e.g. eQuest, Energy Plus, Trane TRACE, etc) and reviewing energy model output reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills: proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and use of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) technologies
- Excellent team building skills and team leadership
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities for both technical and non-technical issues
- Experience with commercial energy audits, energy performance management, measurement and verification, and statistical analysis
Salary and Benefits
The position is a full time, permanent position. Starting salary range is market competitive, and dependent on qualifications and experience. TRC is an equal opportunity employer, with a benefits package including health insurance, and 401(k).