About New Buildings Institute
New Buildings Institute (NBI) is at the forefront of a wide range of national and regional policy, program and technical initiatives focusing on high performance residential, commercial and multifamily buildings that drive energy and carbon reduction. Widely respected in the industry for its leading-edge thinking on improving building energy performance, NBI is a nonprofit, mission-driven organization committed to making a difference. We work with national, regional, state and local NGO’s, agencies, utility groups and companies to promote improved energy performance in policies and practices. Projects include building research, design guidelines, carbon policies and advanced code activities focused on making buildings better for people and the environment.
About the Position
NBI is seeking a Director to join our management and project leaders as an integral part of the NBI organization. The position requires a California-based professional with a strong industry network, deep history with, and understanding of, the California and national efficiency industry and funding sources to transform the built environment for energy and carbon benefits.
The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, self-directed and have strong leadership, organizational and analytical capabilities as well as the ability to communicate about complicated topics in an approachable manner. Business development, managing large projects, directing, and mentoring other staff, and working with the NBI management team on strategic and organizational effectiveness are all primary responsibilities. Directors work collaboratively across NBI’s three program areas (Getting to Zero Leadership and Market Development, Building and Program Innovation, Advancing Codes and Policy); this position will be concentrated in the Buildings and Program Innovation area, including research and emerging technologies.
NBI’s strategy focuses on improving the energy and greenhouse gas performance of residential, commercial and multifamily buildings; successful candidates will have knowledge and experience in building energy performance, advanced technologies, design strategies, research and efficiency programs.
The Director is both an industry and NBI leader and works across a variety of platforms to support the organizational goals towards net zero energy and carbon in buildings. Director responsibilities include the following:
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Map out opportunities for strategy discussions, field engagements, and linkages between different stakeholder groups working in energy efficient, high performance buildings.
- Working with Associate and Senior NBI Staff, lead the development, coordination and effective implementation of NBI’s near and long-term Building and Program Innovation Program, covering such areas as our research agenda, design tools, and advanced guidance.
- Assist in the development and dissemination of NBIs research and tools.
- Evaluate and pursue opportunities to partner with other organizations.
Business Development and External Leadership
- Develop business plans and market development strategy for NBI research, tools, guides and consulting.
- Identify potential projects/initiatives, and NBI resources/consultants to carry them out.
- Seek and respond to proposals; fully manage proposal development and submittal.
- Serve as a national thought leader; be highly informed on industry trends on such topics as zero energy, carbon neutral buildings, policies, electrification, decarbonization, building grid-integration and others.
- Develop or maintain California and other regional and national contacts with allied organizations and industry officials to ensure and elevate the effectiveness, efficiency, and relevance of NBIs work.
- Establish awareness of NBI presence and expertise by maintaining relationships with the stakeholders, funders, and other experts.
- Represent NBI by disseminating best practice information: publishing papers and blogs, using social media, giving talks, and making presentations.
Management and Operations
- Contribute to the organizational structures and processes that help internal management.
- Supervise and mentor staff for their professional development. Conduct staff performance assessments in conjunction with the Operations Manager.
- Participate in Directors Meetings.
- Prepare for, and participate in, Board meetings as requested.
Program and Project Leadership
- Develop, manage and represent financial, project and strategic status of the Building and Program Innovation portfolio.
- Lead major projects, assuring appropriate management and delegation of roles and tasks to other staff and resources.
- Support staff leading and working on projects within the Building and Program Innovation Program. Track project progress and help staff to assure quality and impactful outcomes.
Qualifications - This is a Senior position with the following requirements:
- Degree in building science, engineering, architecture, or relevant fields to energy efficiency and buildings and/or a minimum of 12 years of experience in energy efficiency, architecture or engineering services, public policy analysis and research.
- Demonstrated leadership as a senior manager of people, projects, and strategy.
- High level of professional relationships and partnerships with external market actors.
- Strong facilitation and negotiation skills, with experience creating collaboration and consensus among internal and external stakeholders.
- Successful track-record of managing collaborative ventures to drive local, state or national building progress and outcomes.
- Proven ability to apply sound political and strategic judgment in complex situations.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Outstanding writing and presentation skills. Able to synthesize and clearly articulate complex issues.
- Ability to think flexibly and use interdisciplinary approaches to problem solving.
- Proficiency in Office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good sense of humor and a collaborative work spirit. Approach to work that is positive, solution-oriented, optimistic and enthusiastic. Eagerness to serve the public interest.
- Strong intellect, creativity, flexibility, drive, and entrepreneurial capabilities.
This position is a full-time, exempt position that requires a California-based employee. Salary is commensurate with experience and NBI offers an attractive and comprehensive benefits package. The position reports to the CEO and has a three-month probationary period. NBI is involved in projects all over the United States, and occasional travel will be expected as part of the position (travel current restricted due to Covid-19). Travel expenses are reimbursed.
NBI is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in a work, life balance and are committed to our employees’ health and well-being. NBI is also committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all our work and activities, including hiring practices.
Email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please write “Director – Buildings and Programs Innovation” in the subject line. References and a writing sample may be requested later. For more about New Buildings Institute, visit www.newbuildings.org.