Are you highly organized, tech savvy, adept at writing, and interested in planning events? Do you want to use those skills to contribute to a more energy-efficient, greener planet? Then this job is for you. The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a nonprofit research organization, seeks a dynamic conference and communications assistant.
ACEEE develops policies to reduce energy waste and mitigate climate change. Its independent analysis advances investments, programs, and behaviors that use energy more effectively and help build an equitable clean energy future.
Collaborative, team-oriented, and mission-driven, ACEEE is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and integrating equity into our research and policy efforts. Staff work at an energetic pace in an entrepreneurial environment that offers opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
ACEEE seeks an entry level conference and communications assistant to support our teams on event planning and promotion. This is an exciting position for a detail-oriented planner looking for an opportunity for professional growth in an environmentally focused area.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
The conference and communications assistant’s key responsibilities are to plan and promote ACEEE events and manage the registration process for them. The assistant needs to be willing to work on other special projects, as needed. The position requires excellent written and verbal communications skills as well as basic knowledge of marketing. It also calls for strong project management skills to plan and implement multiple conferences at the same time. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Assist both conference and communications teams with organizing/producing ACEEE conferences, workshops, webinars, and other events. Assist with the Champions of Energy Efficiency nominations and awards as well as the Linda Latham student scholarships.
- Compose and send conference-related email blasts and social media posts.
- Create, update, and archive conference web pages.
- Create conference mobile apps as well as evaluations/questionnaires in consultation with the team lead.
- Build conference registration pages and call for presentations processes in Cvent software; serve as contact for pre-event questions.
- Produce sessions for virtual events using Zoom or other platform software.
- Prepare for in-person events by shipping materials (e.g. badges and supplies) in advance and assist with on-site tasks, including managing the “help desk.” Perform post-conference wrap up activities and other administrative tasks.
- Attend weekly conference team meetings, conference kickoffs, and debrief meetings, assisting as needed.
- Ensure all timelines (including marketing plans) are met by reminding team of deadlines as well as maintain ACEEE Conferences mailbox.
- Detail oriented, organized, and skilled in project management
- Excellent communication and writing skills especially in marketing
- Teamwork oriented
- Quick learner and tech-savvy
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Self-starter/highly motivated and innovative
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products especially Outlook, Teams, Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge and experience in Pardot (Salesforce) for email marketing preferred
- Basic knowledge of HTML and web design (Drupal) preferred
- Familiarity of conference registration systems, (ideally Cvent) preferred
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects
- Knowledge of virtual platforms preferred
- Preferred work location: Washington DC (ACEEE HQ)
Required Education and Experience
- A degree in a relevant field including hospitality and marketing preferred.
- Prior experience in conference planning a plus.
Preferred start date: on or about March 1, 2022. Preferred location is Washington, DC, but open to remote work.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $40,000 - $50,000. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “Conference and Communications Assistant” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls. Please also let us know how you heard about this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability. ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.