About the Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC)
IREC is a small but impactful nonprofit working toward a 100% clean energy future that is reliable, resilient and equitable. IREC provides independent leadership and trusted clean energy expertise, and our mission is to build the foundation for rapid adoption of clean energy and energy efficiency to benefit people, the economy and our planet.
In support of our mission, IREC:
⮚ Advances state regulatory reform and adoption of best practices
⮚ Develops and disseminates thought-leading tools resources and education
⮚ Develops and implements foundational codes and standards
⮚ Provides high-quality clean energy workforce training and accreditation
IREC operates virtually with a small office in Albany, New York and employees located in six states.
About the Position
Reporting to IREC’s Communications Director, the Communications Coordinator will support the day to day implementation of IREC’s communication programs, including social media management, email communication, website updates, and the tracking of program data and metrics.
The Communications Coordinator’s work will support IREC’s overarching communication goals of increasing awareness of IREC, our mission, programs and successes among our core target audiences (e.g., state utility regulators and staff, clean energy industry, allied industry workforce professionals).
● Communications Copy - Draft and edit IREC communications messaging, including emails, website updates, social media posts, and press releases.
● Social media - Manage IREC’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Youtube accounts. This includes publishing daily posts about our work, sharing notable industry news, and responding to messages and other engagement in order to grow IREC’s followers and social media reach over time.
● Email - Take the lead on the creation of emails to IREC’s diverse audiences. Emails include our monthly newsletter (The IREC Report) and program announcements, such as the release of new reports and tools or new regulatory developments.
● Website Updates - Assist in maintaining the IREC website to ensure that information is up-to-date.
● Tracking and Reporting Metrics - Track and report data on the performance of IREC’s communications, including social media reach, followers, and engagement; press coverage and estimated reach; and other key performance indicators.
● Database and List Maintenance - Help keep IREC’s CRM up-to-date with information on our contacts. This includes updating contact profiles with information on recent interactions, ensuring contacts are properly segmented into the appropriate lists based on their interests, scheduling reminders for follow-up with funders and sponsors, and adding new contacts to our database as needed.
● Blog Posts and Articles - On occasion, write original articles for the IREC blog and/or industry trade press, explaining topics that IREC is working on, such as regulatory changes that help accelerate clean energy growth and workforce development programs that support industry needs for well-trained workers and individual career growth.
● Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to clearly convey technical concepts to non-technical audiences, and strong editing skills
● Superb interpersonal communication skills, including discretion and good judgment
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently and remotely
● Creativity - we’re interested in a team member who will contribute new ideas and challenge assumptions
● A positive attitude and aptitude for collaboration
● Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in a relevant field from a regionally-accredited college or university
● Ability to quickly get up to speed with new software tools, such as Constant Contact, Hootsuite, and Salesforce
● Experience with CRM database management
● Experience with email marketing best practices and familiarity with email marketing tools such as Constant Contact or Mailchimp
● Familiarity with social media management tools such as Hootsuite, Buffer, or CoSchedule
● Familiarity with WordPress or other experience maintaining a website
● Interest in/ passion for clean energy (including renewable energy, energy storage, electrification of transportation and buildings, and other technologies)
● Basic design skills and an interest in developing them further (e.g. creating infographics and other visuals for social media or the IREC blog)
● Video and audio editing skills
If you don’t have all of these qualifications but are a fast learner and passionate about IREC’s work, we encourage you to reach out!
Submit a resume, cover letter, and professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 8th or until the position is filled.