The Chief Science and Technology Officer is a key member of the Energy and Environment Directorate (EED) Leadership team who leads scientific, technology and engineering (ST&E) vision, strategy development and execution. This position provides leadership for the conception of, development of, and execution of internal investments to advance our strategic scientific objectives. The CSTO will be expected to work collaboratively with technical staff, across PNNL, to ensure that EED builds distinctive capabilities that enable EED researchers to deliver on our nation’s most important energy and environmental challenges. The CSTO reports to the EED Associate Laboratory Director.
The Energy & Environment Directorate performs $278M of science, technology, and engineering support to the Department of Energy and other sponsors. EED’s exciting and diverse energy and environmental portfolio includes programs in grid R&D, energy efficiency, renewable energy, nuclear energy, fossil energy and environmental management. There are roughly 1,200 staff in EED, supporting programs both within EED and across the Laboratory.
While expertise is not required in all technical areas, the CSTO must be able to work with teams of technical experts to deliver impactful and compelling ST&E outcomes. The CSTO must have an inquisitive mind and enjoy learning about new technical areas and sponsor needs. The CSTO should seek to understand the future direction of R&D in key areas and ensure that EED capabilities are well positioned to contribute to these areas with distinction. The CSTO must be passionate about creating an ST&E environment within EED that nurtures and develops scientist and engineers to rise to the top of their fields.
The overarching responsibilities and accountabilities of the CSTO includes but are not limited to the following:
• Collaborate with teams, including technical staff and managers, to develop, communicate and execute EED ST&E strategy.
• Build organizational consensus for the EED ST&E Strategy.
• Steward and manage overhead investments to execute the EED ST&E strategy to a positive outcome.
• Engage EED technical staff, at all levels, empowering a creative, productive and innovative ST&E environment for all staff.
• Promote a culture of mentoring scientists and engineers.
• Support lab-level S&T planning activities.
• Create a pipeline of outstanding scientist and engineers who can advance through the S&E ranks within EED.
• Communicate EED’s strategy and the successes that result from it to staff across the Laboratory.
• Represent, with distinction, EED and PNNL’s strategic ST&E outcomes to external stakeholders.
• Develop and building strategic partnerships with national labs, universities and industry.
• Participate at the national and international level in scientific societies, conferences, and symposia, and committees to foster awareness and recognition of PNNL's strengths and capabilities.
• Promote a fun and energizing work environment.
Job Level will be determined based on the candidate's education and unique qualifications.
Senior: PhD in a Science or Engineering discipline plus a minimum of 15 years’ experience in an R&D organization, with progressively responsible management/senior leadership positions.
Principal: PhD in a Science or Engineering discipline plus a minimum of 20 years' experience in progressively responsible management/senior leadership positions working closely with clients, partners, stakeholders, professional societies, and other DOE laboratories.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively internally and externally to deliver impact in technical areas.
• Comfortable working with government sponsors, industry, universities, and other national labs.
• Demonstrated ability to represent diverse technical areas.
• Comfortable working in radiological facilities.
Preferred Qualifications: Educational requirements, certifications/licensures, subject matter expertise, and experience that exceed the Performance Level Indicators:
• Experience managing large and complex programs and organizations is desired.
• A career that has at some time involved leadership of a demonstrably high-impact R&D program is desired.
• Experience successfully setting vision, strategy, objectives, and priorities to enhance organizational performance is also desired.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment: Complexities related to the position, working environment, special challenges, etc.:
• Based on client and project requirements, U.S. citizenship is required.
Contact Kristi Ross, Recruiter