About DC Green Bank
DC Green Bank is a new independent agency, established by the Green Finance Authority Establishment Act of 2018 to leverage public capital to accelerate private sector investments that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and advance the District of Columbia’s ambitious sustainability and resiliency goals. Using limited public funding and bonding authority, DC Green Bank will attract private sector funding. Through its financing offerings, the organization will enable private capital to fill gaps by reducing real and perceived risk, absorbing transaction costs, and providing private investors the chance to learn about new market opportunities with the security of government partnership. An institutional goal is to accelerate the deployment of low-carbon technologies by mitigating upfront costs, leveraging private investment, and increasing the catalytic impact of public dollars.
DC Green Bank seeks a Chief Investment Officer (CIO) to help launch this cutting-edge, mission-driven organization. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the CIO will be responsible for developing, deploying, and managing the organization’s first financial offerings, as well as securing capital funding. The CIO will actively seek new products that address market barriers and are aligned with the mission of the organization. As a key member of the initial management team, the CIO will play an important role in determining the strategic direction of this growing, high-impact organization.
- Lead development of financial products using market-proven models and methodologies that address gaps in financing availability and support the mission of DC Green Bank.
- Develop and implement strategies for identifying and securing capital funding, including through the collaboration with other green banks.
- Identify potential partnerships and conduct outreach to financial partners and investors.
- Structure and negotiate terms for financing and investments, in coordination with the CEO and external legal counsel.
- Provide financial modeling expertise and evaluation and risk analysis of investment opportunities.
- Develop strategies to market and increase utilization of DC Green Bank products.
- Establish performance management approach, including defining metrics and methodology for assessing DC Green Bank products.
- Represent the DC Green Bank at events and outreach opportunities.
- Manage relationships with financial partners, contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Lead development and execution of requests for proposals (RFPs) for new project investments and/or other purposes consistent with the mission of the organization.
- Provide regular updates to the CEO and Board on product development and activities.
- Build and work with the team to evaluate and improve existing products and transactions.
- Contribute relevant information and research content to the DC Green Bank website.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has experience in public and/or private investments and a background in clean energy and/or climate financing and/or blended finance. You are an acute financial decision-maker with a demonstrated ability to secure capital and source and close deals. You can creatively design and implement effective financial products and communicate these offerings clearly to the public. You are committed to engaging and partnering with stakeholders, especially in under-served communities. You may already have connections or experience collaborating with the non-profit, financial, energy, affordable housing, and public sectors. You are willing to take on additional responsibilities to fill in the needs of DC Green Bank. You are committed to tackling climate change issues at a local level for global impact and you will strive to bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit to DC Green Bank.
- Advanced degree, preferably an MBA. Dual degree in environmental sciences, engineering, energy, related fields a plus
- 8+ years prior experience in business development and financial services
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Experience supervising staff
- Self-starter and capable of working under limited supervision
- Commitment to the mission of the DC Green Bank
- Status: Full-time
- Location: Remote during DC’s stay-at-home order; Washington, DC required when stay-at-home order is lifted
- Salary and Benefits commensurate with experience
Interested applicants should submit (1) a detailed cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position, and (2) a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization. Please list the position in the subject of the email.
Application materials should be sent to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.