The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified Human Resources Generalist to support the Human Resources (HR) function. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with an emphasis on professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive organization.
ACEEE seeks an HR Generalist with a working knowledge of HR policies, practices, and compliance requirements, including recruiting and hiring, compensation and benefits, employee relations, discrimination and harassment, leave and disability management, payroll, records management, and HRMS-related systems.
The HR generalist works closely with the director of operations in supporting the following functional HR areas: benefits administration, compensation, recruitment/employment, onboarding, and employment law compliance. The core responsibilities of the position include:
- Performing benefits administration, including new hires and open enrollment, communicating benefits information to employees and updating enrollments in provider platforms
- Communicating with service providers concerning employee updates
- Processing monthly invoices (benefits)
- Maintaining all necessary files for accurate benefit reporting
- Ensuring compliance with COBRA guidelines by preparing letters and other paperwork as directed; receive and record COBRA insurance premium payments
Human resource function
- Managing semi-monthly payroll process
- Preparing new hire paperwork and conduct new hire onboarding and orientation
- Maintaining personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements and keeping records up-to-date by processing employee status changes in timely fashion
- Establishing proactive recruiting and hiring practices to increase diversity in the workplace
- Using social media and other recruiting tools and approaches to attract top quality candidates
- Maintaining list of job posting sites
- Coordinating hiring process as outlined in the hiring guidelines and assisting hiring manager throughout the process (includes job postings, resume reviews, interview scheduling, hiring matrix, etc.)
- Maintaining list of approved positions along with assigned salary grade levels
- Coordinating and maintaining ACEEE intern program
- Coordinating and maintaining employee recognition program, mentoring program, and buddies program
- Assisting in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures
- Maintaining compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations including paid leave and FMLA
- Strong interpersonal skills. The generalist will be handling sensitive and confidential situations and documentation, requiring discretion in all personnel matters. Additionally, the candidate must demonstrate empathy, tact, respect, and openness to and courtesy for the ideas and cultures of others.
- Superb organizational skills. The position requires a high level of attention to detail and experience managing multiple tasks as well as maintaining employee files and paperwork.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. The generalist must demonstrate effective oral and written communication and will occasionally give HR presentations to staff.
- Strong analytical skills. The generalist will respond to requests for data points that may require graphic representation.
- Highly motivated, self-starter. The generalist must be able to work independently.
- Tech-savvy and quick learner. The generalist will need to work with multiple software management tools, including Paylocity and Sharepoint.
- A degree or certification in human resources, business, or related field
- Bachelor’s degree and three to five years of progressive HR experience, or
- A Master’s degree in HR management and two years of progressive experience in the HR field, or
- HR certification and seven years of progressive experience in the HR field
- Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation plans and other HR programs
- Knowledgeable in talent acquisition and recruitment processes
- General knowledge of employment/labor laws and practices
- Experience working with Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Preferred start date: as soon as possible, based in Washington, DC
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $48,673 - $73,010. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to email@example.com and use “HR Generalist” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.
ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.