Executive and Engagement Assistant
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified executive assistant to join its team. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work. ACEEE is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive organization.
ACEEE seeks an executive assistant to support its five-person executive team and internal committees, act as a liaison to its board of directors, and track and assess the engagement of its audiences. The position provides a blend of administrative work, writing tasks, and independent responsibilities. This is an exciting position for someone looking to learn the ins and outs of nonprofit administration and to help mobilize and scale up energy efficiency to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change.
The executive assistant will work closely with ACEEE’s leadership and will have a variety of opportunities to work with a well-respected team of energy efficiency experts across the organization. The executive assistant will be a leading user of Salesforce (ACEEE’s customer relationship management tool) and other office technologies. This position reports to the chief operating officer. The core responsibilities of the position include:
- Supporting the executive team by scheduling internal and external meetings, preparing meeting agendas and materials, reviewing and assembling legal contracts, and carrying out other tasks at the request of the executive team
- Supporting ACEEE’s internal committees by carrying out defined administrative tasks
- Acting as a staff liaison to the board of directors. This involves frequent interactions with board members and tasks including managing the board website, scheduling meetings, preparing meeting agendas and materials, and taking minutes.
- Tracking and assessing the engagement of ACEEE’s followers and collaborators. This involves using Salesforce to gather and organize information about who makes up ACEEE’s audience and how these followers and collaborators interact with our work.
The position enables the executive assistant to gain experience in a range of nonprofit activities and, in addition to the core responsibilities listed above, to pursue opportunities for further growth in areas of greatest interest. All previous executive assistants have moved into more senior roles in the organization.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Highly motivated, self-starter. The executive assistant must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent time-management skills. The executive assistant will need to prioritize and perform tasks in a timely manner.
- Excellent attention to detail. The executive assistant will be trusted with a variety of tasks requiring careful attention, including preparing materials and logistics to help meetings run smoothly and reviewing and assembling legal contracts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The executive assistant will be required to communicate effectively with members of the board and when scheduling external meetings. The assistant will be assigned occasional writing tasks and will have the opportunity to independently produce a monthly newsletter for ACEEE staff.
- High level of comfort with technology. Among ACEEE staff, the executive assistant will be a leading user of Salesforce, GoToMeeting, Microsoft Office, and other technologies. The assistant must have prior experience using these tools or be able to master them quickly.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working closely with people in leadership positions. The executive assistant will interact frequently with leaders in the organization and in the energy efficiency field.
Required: Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent
Preferred start date: March 2020, based in Washington, DC
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range is $38,660 - $48,325. ACEEE’s generous benefits package includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.
ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.