The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified development associate for its Development Program. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with opportunities for professional growth and development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
ACEEE seeks a development associate for its Development Program to support efforts to diversify foundation funding, expand corporate giving/conference sponsorships, and increase contributions from individuals. The position provides a balance of operations/systems work and donor relations and engagement. This is an exciting position for someone looking to contribute to a comprehensive development program with aggressive revenue targets needed to mobilize and scale up energy efficiency to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change.
The development associate will have a variety of opportunities to work with a well-respected team of energy efficiency experts and collaborate with the Development Program, as well as other programs across the organization. The development associate will serve as the Salesforce lead for development efforts, working in concert with ACEEE’s database administrator. This position reports to the director of development. The core responsibilities of the position include:
- Serving as the Development Program’s lead for Salesforce (customer relationship management tool) by maintaining Salesforce records and generating reports; proactively researching, designing, and implementing features to improve the effectiveness of Salesforce; and in collaboration with the director of development, ensuring that staff are using Salesforce to track key fundraising information.
- Working closely with the corporate giving/conference sponsorship program to ensure its success by creating email communications in Pardot (email marketing tool), maintaining member records in Salesforce, and coordinating logistics for meetings and events.
- Supporting foundation relations to include tracking deadlines and compiling organizational information for foundation online and offline proposal applications and reporting.
- Supporting the director of development in executing solicitation and stewardship initiatives for individual giving campaigns including the Linda Latham Scholarship Fund, the general fund, and other targeted appeals.
- Conducting prospect research using various online tools including Foundation Directory Online.
- Performing administrative duties such as data entry and maintaining electronic filing systems
- Assisting in scheduling meetings with prospective funders
The development associate will work on projects that support ACEEE’s revenue generation and fundraising needs, crucial to the organization’s success. The position offers an opportunity to develop expertise and experience in a range of revenue streams in a comprehensive development program.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Experience in Salesforce or other fundraising databases. The development associate will be the Development Department’s lead for Salesforce working to ensure the integrity of data by keeping information up to date and coordinating Development Program operations. Working knowledge of email and marketing tools such as Pardot and experience with Microsoft Office are also required.
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills. The development associate will need to meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to learn ACEEE’s business processes. The development associate will be required to apply that knowledge to both fundraising and Salesforce-related opportunities
- Professional demeanor. The development associate will regularly communicate with donors and volunteers in writing and by email and verbally on phone and in person
- Excellent organizational ability and rigorous attention to detail. The development associate will be required to ensure that comprehensive grant applications and reporting requirements are accurately completed.
- Highly motivated, self-starter. The development associate must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices
- Event planning experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent
- Two years of experience working in a development/fundraising program
- Experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management tool for fundraising
Preferred start date: on or about March 1, 2020, based in Washington, DC
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes ACEEE’s generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use “Development Associate” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls.
Please let us know how you heard of this opening.
ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.
ACEEE is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in its organization and encourages applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply.